Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sea shell painting using multilayer watercolors technique. Step-by-step demonstration.


This is a demonstration of a sea shell painting using multilayer watercolors technique. We will apply several transparent layers to achieve the desirable result.

I painted this sea shell from life. First I made a detailed sketch. I recommend a hard pencil for sketching.



 I would like to clarify a few points about multilayer watercolor technique. 
  • Each layer is applied using a very transparent paint. 
  • Previous layer must be dry. 
  • The brush should be wet enough, but water should not drop from it. Watercolor in should not be freely distributed on a paper. 
  • I remove edges of color spots with a clean damp, but not wet brush.


I applied the first very transparent grey layer (Payne grey), avoiding only the lightest areas of the shell (highlights). This layer is not very visible, but I need it to get rid of white paper. As you know, shells are not exactly white.



Then I applied a layer using yellow ocher only in the places, where the shell has ocher tint. Lightness of this layer should be corresponding to the lightest ocher areas of the shell.



Again I applied a grey layer but only in shaded areas.



Then I added some texture. I made thin strokes following the form using mixture of yellow ocher and burned sienna.



For the next layer I used the same mixture of yellow ocher and burned sienna in the places, where the shell had a deeper brown shade.



I made shadows deeper, where necessary.



Here I added more texture using the thin brush.



The painting is almost complete. I just needed to add the shadow under the shell and the background.




That is it! The shell painting is ready!

1 comment: